Review: Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Title: Red Rising
Author: Pierce Brown
Series: Red Rising Trilogy (#1)
Publication Date: January 28, 2014
Genres: Sci-Fi, Dystopian, Fantasy, Adult/YA

The war begins...
Darrow is a Helldiver, one of a thousand men and women who live in the vast caves beneath the surface of Mars. Generations of Helldivers have spent their lives toiling to mine the precious elements that will allow the planet to be terraformed. Just knowing that one day people will be able to walk the surface of the planet is enough to justify their sacrifice. The Earth is dying, and Darrow and his people are the only hope humanity has left.Until the day Darrow learns that it is all a lie. Mars is habitable - and indeed has been inhabited for generations by a class of people calling themselves the Golds. The Golds regard Darrow and his fellows as slave labour, to be exploited and worked to death without a second thought.
With the help of a mysterious group of rebels, Darrow disguises himself as a Gold and infiltrates their command school, intent on taking down his oppressors from the inside.
But the command school is a battlefield. And Darrow isn't the only student with an agenda...





Holy shit, this book was beyond phenomenal. I've never read something as good as this before it had me just screaming and fan-girling. It definitely had a really unique writing style, one that I haven't seen before in YA books. It's kind of like present tense first person, but it's just so good.

Red Rising's plot is amazing. I have a soft spot for books that deal with space, and I fall in love with really any dystopian/sci-fi that takes place on another planet, so I wasn't surprised when this book caught my attention. Set in the future where men are terraforming the solar system in a colour coded society, Darrow is living on Mars and a Red, the lowest level of the society, meant to act as a slave and work in the mines, believing that they're important and mining precious elements for the solar system's planet to be terraformed.

But Darrow finds out that it's all a lie.

Mars has already been habitable for generations and is being dominated and ruled under the Golds, the highest level of the colour coded society who regard Darrow as a slave and nothing more. Darrow is infuriated, and he ends up with a group of people who's goals are to start a rebellion, and they transform Darrow into a Gold where he infiltrates the Gold's command schools. He's entered into a battlefield with his House Mars (no, just because they're on Mars does not mean that House Mars is special) , where the other houses of Venus, Jupiter, Minerva, Juno, Ceres, Diana and Pluto are to fight each other until one house is left standing.

Red Rising is not your typical 'teen rebellion on Capital' book. It has so much more thought put into it, and it isn't a series of reckless acts lead by a rage-driven character. Everything is logically thought out and planned. Pierce Brown makes everything so believable that it feels like we're standing there in the middle of the battle, absorbed completely in the novel. There's a lot of blood and gore, murder and even mentions of rape AND IT WAS JUST SO BLOODYDAMN AWESOME. The way he writes action scenes, all the strategic/war aspects included in the novel definitely captured my interest.

I loved the Darrow, the main character. I love how he's not perfect, how he makes mistakes, and yet he's always learning throughout the book to become a better leader. He's so grown up and mature, it's easy to forget that he's only 16. His personality is unique and he has the characteristics of a great leader. Darrow might not be a hot fictional character, but I just loved him as much. Darrow was a complex character, yet he was extremely likeable and interesting.

I'll be honest, I did not enjoy the beginning as much. The beginning was a bit confusing, as the reader was introduced to all these words like slingBlade, gravBoots, etc but the terms were never explained of what they were. But I guess that it's better since we don't want him to explain everything to us. But the reader actually has to work to understand the book, and it would have been even better if the beginning was cut in half. I actually considered dropping out, but it was my friends who kept on pushing me on. Once you got to the 30% mark, those things didn't matter anymore because the rest of the story made up for it. The other 70% is just  that phenomenal.


Red Rising is not your usual read. Although it didn't make me shed any tears at all and there was barely any romance in it, Red Rising is a unique book with a lot of potential, and action. I love every second of it, and I love how Pierce brown made this book so believable, so real. So rhythmic, so smooth! If you find the beginning like hell and don't like it and want to drop out, you really have to stick to it till the end. That is all.


21 comments :

  1. Hey there! Oh my gosh! I heard this was a really good book and it's on my summer TBR. Your review has made me super excited to read it =)

    - Jazzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad my review has made itself of somewhat use :D Red Rising is awesome, I can tell you that! And I really hope you like it when you read it! :)

      Delete
    2. I just ordered my copy of it. I really can't wait for this book to arrive. =)

      Delete
    3. YIPPE!!! :D You have no idea how happy to just know that one of my reviews were actually helpful! :D *happy dances*

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, it's wonderful jsut how obviously passionate you are about this book! It comes really clearly into your review, and is quite impassioning. From the sound of the details of the book, though, I have a feeling that it wouldn't be for me- I'm not a fan of gore (at all!) and all the fighting and war doesn't sound like it would be my cup of tea. Still, it's fantastic you found a book that you love so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did truly love Red Rising! It's something that I've never read before.

      I'm not a fan of war, fighting, and gore (theres some gore but I think it was an alright amount) but somehow, this book was still amazing! Thanks Romi :)

      Delete
  3. Wow I am definitely going to have to check this one out! I love it when a book just captures your attention and sucks you in <3 Great review Olivia!!

    Ooooh I love it when an author actually replies to your tweet!! What an awesome fangirl moment and he was so sweet too *tee hee*

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Chene! And I know! I was like fangirling because Pierce replied for an hour :D

      Delete
    2. Where is your tutorial post?? I popped over from my blog where you left that comment (The link didn't work)... let me know so I can check it out :)

      Delete
    3. Hey Chene :) I left another comment on your blog with the link! Hope it works.

      Delete
  4. Hey I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! For more info:
    http://bookwormblogger9.blogspot.com/2014/06/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi :)
    I nominated you for the Liebster Awards! (everything's explained here: http://craving-books.blogspot.fr/2014/06/liebster-award.html)
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (I just saw you were already nominated, but I posted my comment before checking.. you're not forced to do my questions :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, no problem! :D I might just answer some of your questions as well as some of Sydney's. That'd be lots of fun! :)

      Delete
  7. Awesome review! I stopped by to tell you I nominated you for a Liebster Award. Here's the link to what it is all about: http://avidbookcollector.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! The details of the award will be included in my post on Sunday here: The Pop Cultist

    I hope you'll accept and choose to participate!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wont let me delete my comment hahah I just saw you were already nominated. No big :) I know this one in particular goes around quite a bit.

      Also this book sounds like a definite must read. I skimmed the post mostly out of fear of spoilers (I like knowing as little as possible and I've been a bit jaded by other blogs for the day haha) but it definitely sounds like my kind of book!

      Delete
  9. Adding, adding, addiiiiiing! Sounds like an uh-mazing book, Olivia! Hopefully I'll get to it sometime soon so I can fangirl along with you. Oh, and I want to read that scene where the guy pisses himself, LOL. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Casius doesn't piss on HIMSELF! :D that'd be so fail! Casius just makes a really, really dumb move ;) that's all I'm going to say for now!

      Delete
  10. I've been passing this by the bookstore a lot...maybe this review is a sign that I should pick it up! You sound so enthusiastic about it that it's making me want to grab it right now! The touch of humor is something that I see less on dystopians. This sounds really amazing!

    ~ Sporadic Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super awesome! :D :D I want everyone to go grab a copy of this. Now. Thanks for stopping by Dre!

      Delete

Share your thoughts and opinions! I love receiving them and I will always comment back. I don't bite :)