Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Title: Throne of Glass
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre(s): Fantasy, Romance, Adventure, Young Adult
Series: Throne of Glass (#1)
Page Count: 404
Publication Date: August 7, 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury
In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.




I picked up Throne of Glass because of its intriguing synopsis (and of course, the beautiful cover image). It wasn't as good as I expected to be. It was better. The unpredictable twists and turns made the novel interesting and suspenseful at every point of the book. I finished this book in two sittings (it definitely strained me to put the book down in the first sitting) and once I did finish, I was fangirling all over Twitter and Google Hangouts :D

Throne of Glass starts in Endovier, a salt mine, or a death camp that Celaena Sardothien, an assassin trained since the age of eight is enslaved in. Summoned by The Crown Prince of Ardalan, Prince Dorian has a proposition for her -- to die in Endovier or participate as his Champion in the King of Ardalan's competition. But there's a dark magic that lurks in the castle, a mysterious killer, killing the Champions off one by one...

For me, the characters are the most important aspect of a novel, and all of the characters in this novel were beyond phenomenal. They were beautifully crafted, with so much character development in each and every one of them. While Celaena was the main focus of the book, we get to learn so much about Chaol and Dorian, whom were both lovely. 

Celaena became one of my favourite badass heroines after finishing the novel. From the first 50 pages, we learn that she isn't just an assassin. She's a human. She's girly, fun, hilarious and sometimes it's easy to forget that she's also an eighteen year old girl. She's real, not robotic or perfect. She loves candy and parties. That being said, there's a great deal of character development in Celaena. 

So, there's a love triangle in this one. If you read my previous review of Stone Cold Touch by Jennifer L. Armentrout, you might have known that I loved the love triangle but this one is amazing as well! I was a bit afraid that the love triangle would be a very obvious one (such as the one in the Selection) but both Chaol and Dorian put up a great match for Celaena.

It was Chaol for me ever since the beginning. He is just so adorable! Chaol is so loyal, brave and sweet that every time there's a chapter with Chaol I can't help but go "awww..." every time. Those sections that focused on Chaol tore my heart :') They just match each other so well, and in my opinion, Chaol is in the lead. He offered Celaena his sword during the final duel, and even though he doesn't show his love for Celaena like Dorian does, Chaol definitely loves Celaena a lot more on the inside.




As for Dorian...he's fine as a prince, but he's everything you'd expect him to be. Perfect personality, "excessively handsome" as Celaena even stated, kind and unlike his cruel father with a heart of iron. Perhaps it has something to do with Dorian being a prince and how protagonists end up with a prince in fantasy stories too often. Dorian was likeable, but he didn't spark up to me as much as Chaol did. Aside from that, I call Dorian for keeps though if Celaena doesn't want him :D

I highly recommend this book to high fantasy lovers. This book doesn't just focus on the romance though, there are other things that make this book an interesting read, such as the mystery and suspense, the competition, the dark magic, and Nehemia. She was a wonderful friend! There's also a lot of fighting and hilarious moments that you'll certainly enjoy. I also can't help but say that I'm eager to know what happens with Chaol, Dorian and Celaena. I hope to see some more action happen between Chaol and Celaena, but nonetheless, I have a feeling that I will be hooked onto this series no matter what happens in rest of the series. A fantastic read!



27 comments :

  1. Great review:D I'm conflicted now on Chaol and Dorian! At first I was Chaol, but now . .. I'm not sure. I do like Dorian as well:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I just realized that your profile picture is Jem, Will and Tessa! Yayy!! I'm a huge TID fan too ;) As for Chaol or Dorian, I can't blame you though. Both of them are cute :D

      Delete
  2. I'm still attempting to read The Selection series. I kind of got spoiled with who America ended up with, but I was actually taken by surprise!

    I'm happy you enjoyed this book, I'm currently reading CoM. I think I'm Team Dorian~

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on that! The Selection series wasn't the best honestly, and I felt that America was really infuriating in The Elite. It's a cute read-on-a-rainy-day though, and I hope you'll enjoy it more than I do! I'm starting CoM too :D

      Delete
  3. I'm also Team Chaol! *high five* I just ordered Crown of Midnight, and I hope I can manage the wait! Throne of Glass is fantastic and shame on whoever thinks otherwise, lol. It's just sooo good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAASS!!! *high fives* Good luck on waiting! I loved the book so much and I hope that I can manage the wait for the fourth book after I finish Heir of Fire. I definitely believe that the series won't let me down! Throne of Glass is just that good :D

      Delete
  4. Team Chaol all the wayy <333 I loved the characters too; they're all so great :) I thought this triangle was pretty equal in the first book too. Just wait until the next book, you'll LOVE it. Nice review <3

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely Team Chaol! I completely loved this book, but due to life being what it is I haven't been able to continue the series yet and I'm really excited to!

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/review-battle-of-labyrinth-percy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high fives* TEAM CHAOL!!! You need to read CoM. I'm a quarter done, but it is amazing!

      Delete
  6. I love the names Celaena and Dorian (like The Picture Of Dorian Gray!) It's good to hear that the writing has strong character development. That's so lacking these days!

    Ciera @ The Write Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most certainly! Celaena and Dorian are undeniably great, unique, and creative sounding names. I agree, strong character development is so hard to find!

      Delete
  7. Gah! I need to climb out from under my rock and start this series already. I've heard so many good things about the first in the series, as well as mixed reviews about the second and third. I'm just so swamped with school work right now. Spring break in three weeks is about to be full of books that make my heart happy! Great review girl, you make me so excited to start this series (:
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! Same here. I've been posting so infrequently these days :( #highschoolapplications

      Delete
  8. I remember when I used to be Team Chaol Olivia. And then Crown of Midnight and Heir of Fire happened...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Throne of Glass was so awesome!! I'm reading Crown of Midnight now, and I think it even better than Throne of Glass was though. And Chaol <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree! CoM is even better than ToG after finishing CoM :D (it's possible!)

      Delete
  10. YAY I am so glad you loved this book so much! I agree that Celaena is a really well developed character who was amazing. Definitely on Team Chaol as welll, he's the best for her <3 Great review Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jeann <3 Have you read Heir of Fire yet? I MIGHT switch to Team Rowan. Maybe :D

      Delete
  11. Looking forward to reading this book on your recommendation. :) Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read this book yet... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go pick it up! It's not going to take too long to read because its so good :D

      Delete
  13. Interesting, would love to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and opinions! I love receiving them and I will always comment back. I don't bite :)