Tips on Finding Time to Post and Maintaining Your Book Blog

My first attempts at taking artsy photos. Yes, that's me.

For most of us in the blogging community, blogging is a huge amount of work. It is definitely something that can only be accomplished with blood and sweat, and most importantly, commitment and dedication.  But we have lives (although for some of us, blogging is our life), school, work, and families.  So how do we manage what happens in our daily lives, in addition to blogging? With school starting, here are some tips for bloggers to maintain our blogs.




Being a book blogger myself, here is a breakdown of what a book blogger has to complete on a regular basis:

  • First, we must set aside time to read (it's a book blog after all). 

  • Many of us are active GoodReads and Twitter users, the two most effective social media platforms to promote our blog and interact with other bloggers. Time spent on social media goes very quickly. Sometimes I get so caught up chatting with other bloggers that I become behind schedule. 

  • We have to write meaningful posts and reviews, and spend time formatting them as well. 

  • Visiting other book blogs! The book blogging community is wonderful and there are so many things we can learn from other bloggers and we meet so many more people as well.

  • Some of us like making our blog look pretty and spend a lot of time doing it (which was me a few months ago, and I barely got anything done haha.).  

That's quite a list, isn't it? Here are some tips on finding time to manage our blogs.

1. Schedule posts. I've recently just come back from my hiatus so I don't have many scheduled posts as of now, but scheduling posts is one of the best ways to organize your blog, so you aren't working your butt off during your free hours. Have some backup posts as well, just in case if your blog is in need of a post when you haven't had time to write one or you haven't posted in a while. I usually go for at least one post a week, two if I have time. Neverthless, quantity does not mean quality; posting too much can annoy our readers with emails and because there are so many posts, there's a huge chance that some will be disregarded or unread.

Here's another tip: Don't flood your blog with book memes. Of course, they're fun to do once in a while, but posting one review is worth ten book memes.

2. Schedule yourself. Make sure something happening on your blog isn't overlapping with something going on in your life. Create mental notes of how much time you're going to spend on social media and make sure you don't go tweet overtime. Time is of the essence; if you have a busy schedule, you must keep everything organized and orderly to make sure that your tasks are accomplished (sounding a little general here but make sure you have yourself in check).

3. Read. We have to read a lot of books to be able to review them, so unless you're a very fast reader (and if you are one, I envy you), read in your spare time, in the shower, during car rides, etc. But don't make reading feel like a chore. Reading is something we love doing, so this step shouldn't necessarily be a problem for most of us.

4. If you're not doing much, why not whip up a post? Better earlier than later, right? We know you have it in you, so drop the TV remote and start typing.

5. Co-bloggers! Not only do co-bloggers help lift off the stress block on your shoulders, but you get to become long lasting friends with your book buddy, and two brains are better than one! It's also a fun experience; they're the first ones we can go to and explode after finishing an amazing read. Cody has only recently joined Fictionally Obsessed, but we have so many ideas and things we'd like to do that I would have never thought up of myself. With a co-blogger, we're allowed to relax more than we would have been able to as a solo blogger.

6. If it's not working out, go on a hiatus. We understand how stressful life can sometimes be, and if we can't manage blogging and our lives, take a break from blogging until we can sort it out. Remember: blogging is a hobby and you should always put school, work and your lives first! There isn't any shame in leaving your readers for a while (and I've been on two myself), everyone will welcome us back with open arms regardless.

Do you have any tips on maintaining a book blog? What are your do's and don'ts? 



30 comments :

  1. This post is amazing, Olivia! I recently just started scheduling posts and I feel so much better. And cobloggers are the best, ever since Haley joined me it's been so much easier and I haven't been as stressed out anymore. I've taken a few breaks and it always helps -- I usually come back with a lot of post ideas.

    Love these tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Running the blog has felt a lot easier now that Cody's offered a hand :) I always feel good about myself when I schedule posts!

      Delete
  2. Loved these tips! Reading and blogging are two things that can simply eat away at your time (both knowing and unknowingly), so I agree when you say it can be hard to slot them into a busy life. Fantastic post! :)

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely true! I don't ever want to stop doing either though, so I've been trying to find lots of ways to make my hobbies more efficient :P

      Delete
  3. Great advice! I usually don't click on meme posts because they get so repetitive on my feed; original posts and reviews for books in which I'm interested usually draw me in!
    While I'm still on social media and commenting on other blogs (obviously XD), I've gone on a posting hiatus, and it's really helped me on gaining inspiration and scheduling more posts behind the scenes.
    For me, it's difficult to just "whip up a post" unless it's a meme or a tag; sometimes it can take hours to put together a review or original idea! However, I agree that it's a good idea to get rid of distractions and take a little time to brainstorm if you're in a slump.

    Annie @ Indoor Sojourner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll occasionally click on a Top Ten Tuesday, but I usually don't read memes either. I'm pretty fast when it comes to writing a discussion post, but book reviews tend to take so much longer and harder to write! It's good to take a little break once in a while to catch up, can't wait to see more of your posts though when you come back from your hiatus :)

      Delete
  4. I recently found a co-blogger finally, but I think it was the worst decision ever. I wanted someone who could help me with writing a review or two a week, since I am way too busy with work. Now I'm at the point where I asked her numerous times in the last month, since she's on the blog to post, but she still hasn't done anything. So now me and my best friend who is also a blogger will join forces to build a blog together, since we are both dedicated to our blogs, even if we have very little free time. I hope it'll work out much better than this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, my first co-blogging experience didn't go too well either. Jasper, my old co-blogger became really busy and was unable to post on a regular basis :( I wish you good luck with your new blog, can't wait to see how it turns out :)

      Delete
  5. I live for posts like these! I love the artsy photo as well, looks good ^.^ I am going through a hard year at school this time round so there won't be nearly as much time for blogging as there was before. I will try visiting blogs as much as I already do and keep up with posting. But reading... I am quickly finding less time to do so except for in the small amounts of free time I have! I am going to try and optimise my weekends but they are very busy as well xD I hope I have time!

    I love scheduling though <3 I live for it. I have all my September blog posts except one already scheduled...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liv :D I've just started high school, but I've signed up for a really hard program (IB) so I don't know how it will turn out yet. Since the drive to my new school is about 40 minutes, I'll be able to read on the way, which is great! I've scheduled all my September posts and I feel accomplished too haha ;) Good luck with keeping up with blogging and life!

      Delete
  6. Scheduling posts is the most helpful thing for me! I've only just started and I know it's already keeping me more motivated!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?? I just started scheduling my posts instead of writing a post last minute and it's made me feel a lot more organized!

      Delete
  7. Great post, I feel that I've put way too much on my plate during my first months of blogging - so my goal for my third month on the blog is to step back a little. I will stop trying to post every day for the sake of my sanity. Blogging is actually taking away from my reading time D: WOES. But I love the book community so much, I cannot leave it! I just need to learn to schedule my post.

    Aentee at Read at Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through the same phase! My first year of blogging was a mess, I was so unorganized and posts were very sporadic. I now have a consistent schedule of posting once or twice every week consistently because scheduling is so awesome :D Reading and blogging take up a lot of time, that's true! But the community is so nice that it's very rewarding :)

      Delete
  8. I definitely agree that it's helpful to schedule posts as much as you can. I don't have a whole bunch scheduled as I tend to write a review as soon as I'm finished reading (or as soon as possible afterwards) but I tend to keep a few memes scheduled so that I can quickly post one if I'm having a really quiet week on the blog.

    Great post with really helpful tips! :D

    -- Nicola Reads YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola! I usually like taking notes for reviews, so that I can look back at say "Oh, I remember what I was going to write for this review!" But I do try to write them right after I finish so that I haven't missed out anything I wanted to say.

      Delete
  9. Thank you. This saved my life. I'm going on a hiatus. I just started High School, and I have been scheduling posts for the past two weeks. I am going to keep doing that, but I'll give myself a little break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, I hope it works out for you! I just started high school, like TODAY. No idea how it's going to turn out, but I'll just keep scheduling posts just in case ;)

      Delete
  10. Love this post! Now I just need to do some of it ahah, scheduling in particular is not my strong point but hopefully I'll get back on track soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scheduling posts is SO MUCH FUN. It is so addictive and organized and helps me breath easy. Taking a hiatus is a great way to refresh as well. :) Nice tips!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Rach! Scheduling posts is like waking up before your alarm clock, it makes me feel so ahead of things ;D

      Delete
  12. Aww I love the photo!

    I'm finally at a place where my reviews are planned out two weeks ahead of time and it makes me so happy! Blogging and reading is such a chicken and the egg situation, you want to read, but you also want to blog. I always feel like I should be doing the other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much <3 and definitely, balancing blogging with reading is pretty difficult!

      Delete
  13. Great tips Olivia! I'm a freshman in high school this year and I've been worried that with AP classes and extracurricular activities that I'm going to have a bit of a hard time giving as much commitment to blogging in the next few years. But I'm definitely going to have to keep these wonderful tips in mind - they sound like they will be extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing this fabulous post! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a freshman too! *high five* I'm pretty worried too because I have no idea what the IB program includes. People say that it will be hard to balance extra-curriculars, and school not to mention hobbies. So I guess we'll both see how this goes :)

      Delete
  14. This post is fabulous!! I NEED to schedule more, especially because there ARE times when I am forcing myself to blog through illness or some other situation that I SHOULD allow myself to take time for. But I don't, because I have nothing in reserves. I am always playing catch up, and it sucks. I just need TIME. I'd grovel to anyone for a few days just to get ahead ;)

    Hiatus... it scares me. I wouldn't even let myself take one during BEA, I had posts scheduled the whole time, and then heaps of comments to return and.. yeah. It wasn't smart. I am just so afraid of everything that comes with a hiatus- pageviews declining, people potentially forgetting about me, etc. I know it isn't logical, but I just cannot seem to allow myself to take one!

    Someday, I will get my act together and have some time :) Thanks for the great tips!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Scheduling is SUPER helpful, and with scheduled posts, we don't really need to worry about anything but hitting that publish button. I took a hiatus a while ago, and I'd have to agree with you, taking a hiatus isn't exactly like pressing a pause button, but it is true that readers slowly deteriorate over time and you'll have to kind of work your way back up again after climbing to the top. So I don't really like taking month long hiatuses unless it's absolutely necessary! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. Scheduling is such a good idea. I know I had to go on a hiatus this summer because of traveling across England - it's stressful to try to keep it up with so much going on. But it's always so refreshing to be back! I also like how you girls are co-blogging...that sounds like a really helpful idea. :)



    Ciera @ The Write Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, England! I've always wanted to go there, I hope you had a great time! :)

      Delete

Share your thoughts and opinions! I love receiving them and I will always comment back. I don't bite :)