Why I Love Being A Book Blogger


I love book blogging (why wouldn't I?). It's one of my soul hobbies--aside from reading--that I've only discovered about two years ago. I didn't even know what exactly a book blog was until a few months after I started writing "reviews", which formerly consisted of basically two paragraphs of THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME, READ THE BOOK. And oh god, my posts back then were horrid.

While I was blogging for fun, perhaps I only found out the answer of books + blog = book blog when I met the amazing Nova @ Out of Time during a Marissa Meyer book signing (you should totally check out Nova's blog btw). I started wandering around the community of book blogs and used Twitter immensely. Feeling a little self-conscious of my "book blog", I went "Oh crap, I have another project on my list. Start doing this thing, book blogging I mean." 

I was utterly new to this whole concept of the society behind books. I thought books ended when you finished the last page, but I was entirely wrong. Books never ended. They continued even after you've stored them in your heart and set them aside in the community of book bloggers. At age 11, I barely knew how to use GoodReads back then, and don't even start on the whole blog design notion.

But in spite of my unknowledgeable 11-year-old self, I explored, the hard way. After countless hours of the long haul, I've ended up here. Here's why I love being a book blogger:

1. I've learned about not just the community, but everything from formatting posts to coding and design.

Never in my life have I gave a second thought to code, but blogging has helped me discover that. I've self-taught myself the basics of it and I love designing! As well, with plenty of posts we have to write, I can't say that I haven't gained a little more confidence in my writing.




2. Book blogging is the best way to discover new, popular, and phenomenal books. 

Every time I go to a bookstore, it's been so much easier to know exactly what book I want to read. Because BOOK HYYYYPE. It's so easy to see what others are recommending because joining the community is like discovering a party of hype, book lovers, and our favourite authors while finally having the door unlocked.




3. We get to see so many different perspectives. 

I love reading long and unique reviews (usually of books I've read), both negative and positive. It's incredible to see what everyone else is thinking of a book, what they love about it, what they don't. Reading reviews of books I've read isn't like reading anything else; I can actually connect and a lot of times feel exactly the way the reviewer feels about a certain book.




4. I found people who understand me and my love for books.  

At school, I'm constantly afraid of showing my book lover side too much (and we'll explain later on in another post), and sometimes it can be hard to find readers who are on the exact same page as you, people who you're in sync with. While I'm behind my laptop and writing a blog post, I can express myself freely and clearly. I'm not afraid of fangirling and revealing my bookish side. People who aren't MASSIVE BOOK LOVERS won't necessarily understand things like the joy of a book by a favourite author come out, or what we'd give to meet them at a book signing!




5. Last but not least, I'm never alone. 

Although books are the best company one could ask for, what's even better company is a book-loving friend. Not to mention that there are just so many out there in the blogosphere!



What do you think of book blogging? Share your thoughts!



24 comments :

  1. I love it!!! I agree with all of this. The best/worst thing about blogging is all the incredible book recommendations. Yes, I have read some AMAZING books, thanks to the hype from fellow bloggers. But my TBR list has doubled, so I also kind of hate it. Ha. I also love fangirling like crazy with people who love a book as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My never ending TBR list has been growing and growing ever since I started blogging haha :D

      Delete
  2. "Books never end." I SO agree!! Books are just amazing, and they stay with you forever! Seeing so many different perspectives is amazing, and I love the diversity of the blogosphere. AND PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND YOUR PASSIONS ARE THE BEST. EVER. It's so awesome to be able to discuss what you love with a community who won't judge you for it! I love how our mutual love of books binds us together. I am PROUD to be a book blogger! :D This is an amazing post, Olivia! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT?!?! I love how no one will bash you for unleashing your opinions no matter how unpopular they may be! I also love how books are something that you can ALWAYS talk about.

      Delete
  3. Let's be honest here, YOU LOVE IT BECAUSE OF ME ;)
    Your fangirling and book rants are what I live for, the day isn't complete without a google hangout essay to reply to ;)
    I do enjoy seeing people's different perspectives... well until yesterday when you made me realise how much I thought 'I loved' The Heart of Betrayal *sigh* hahaha, it's a great way to understand those tricky plots better with other people's idea's and opinions.
    I love being a book blogger and agree with everything you said,
    It's great to share a part of yourself with like-minded people <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE YOU CODY <3 <3
      Seriously, you're like my GO TO FANGIRL. I'm always able to instantly release my feels during our chats haha ;D And there are definitely a lot of times where you've made me realize things too! It's so amazing to have someone who understands you in an instant!

      Delete
  4. I'm with you 100% on #4! I don't really talk to my 'real life' friends all that much about my book lover side because they just don't get it! They try to be supportive but they just can't fangirl with me about a certain book (and a lot of my friends think it's pretty weird to love reading so much). Joining the book blogging community is the best thing ever in that regard!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I'm on the same page, a lot of my friends don't understand why I love reading so much as well!

      Delete
  5. Book blogging can be stressful but I've learned that it's always worth it (as long as you enjoy it)! Finding people, learning how to navigate social media and basic photoshop skills have taught me so much (it even goes on my resume now).

    Thanks for reminding how awesome book blogging is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! It's because of blogging that I figured out how to use GR and twitter :D

      Delete
  6. "I found people who understand me and my love for books." This so much. I went to YALC with the gent this summer and he was like: "This really is your tribe, isn't it?" He's a smart one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still not good at coding, but I sure learned a lot of things!
    Discovering new books is definitely one of the perks, but being able to talk/discuss about books with people who get me, that is priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coding is something you pick up over time! It's never too late to learn, bit by bit :)

      Delete
  8. I completely agree with this post and all of your reasons 100% Olivia. I can't imagine what my life would be like without blogging. It's so great that, even though we're all from different corners of the world, we are able to unite and discuss something that we all have in common: our love for books. It's such a great way to meet people who share your passion. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous post! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "We are able to unite and discuss something that we all have in common" I SO AGREE! It's amazing how far we're able to reach with book blogging :D Blogging has definitely made a huge impact on my life!

      Delete
  9. "Books never end" is a good way to describe book blogging. I get to fangirl about books I've read two, three years ago. Didn't have anyone to do that with then, and didn't expect to see other's still talking about these books. That's one of the things I love about being a book blogger, I get release all my repressed obsessions about books. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! No matter how old the book may be, we're still able to talk about it...and if the book is older, then it's likely that more people have read it and they can share their opinions on it too :)

      Delete
  10. This is a great post because it really does share the great things about book blogging. Like you, because of blogging I now know some basics of CSS and how it works. (Complete poop at HTML ehe...) Book blogging also brought a ton of awareness to books to me as well. I used to walk into and spend so many minutes reading and discovering new books and now, I spend many minutes deciding on which books to get because there are just so many good ones! Book blogging also makes me so happy to be a lover of books and not ashamed of it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ~Kaitlin @ Next Page Please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, I'm PROUD to be a book nerd because I'm a blogger, and it's awesome to know that I'm not alone!

      Delete
  11. Awesome post!! I agree with all of this :) You met Nova?? Ahhh I wish I could meet both of you!! Book blogging is THE BEST way to learn about new and upcoming books. I am much more informed now :) You are such a talented coder/designer! That's a great skill to have. Yes, we've found our bookish people!! It's great, right? :) Lovely post

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rach <3 I've met Nova at a Marissa Meyer book signing by luck! I honestly didn't know that the book blogging community was all connected back then so I was pretty surprised at all the people she knew :P

      Delete
  12. I love book blogging! It's actually sort of weird to think that once upon a time I wasn't even a part of this community... Strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine a life without books and the book blogging community!

      Delete

Share your thoughts and opinions! I love receiving them and I will always comment back. I don't bite :)