Review: Sun Kissed by Jenny Mclachlan

Title: Sunkissed
Author: Jenny McLachlan
Series: Ladybirds (#3)
Genre(s): Contemporary, Young Adult
Publication Date: August 13, 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury

Following on from Flirty Dancing and Love Bomb, Jenny McLachlan's next book is perfect summer holiday reading for fans of Geek Girl and Louise Rennison.

Kat can't believe her family are sending her to Sweden for the summer. But without her friends, or even a phone signal, can Kat make it on her own?

In a land of saunas, nudity and summer sun, Kat soon realises she has nowhere to hide. It's time to embrace who she really is, underneath what she's been thinking people want her to be. Especially if she's going to win the heart of mega fit Swede Leo! Can Kat find her inner strength and prove she's got what it takes?

Kat soon finds that when you're surrounded by phosphorescence and wonder it's easy to sparkle. Or maybe that's what happens when you fall in love . Or maybe you only shine when you're true to yourself.

I have never heard of the author or the Ladybird series before reading this book but once I received my copy alls I could think was, how much fun is that cover!

Sunkissed follows Kat the protagonist who has been in her parent’s bad books for some weeks now and is in the constant shadow of her older sister. Kat’s relationship with her parents becomes even more strained when they catch her in her wardrobe with her sister’s ex-boyfriend. In order to teach Kat a lesson she’s sent to live with her auntie in Sweden for the summer. However things take yet another turn for the worst when her crazy Auntie Frida plans on spending their summer on a remote island with no internet access, no electricity, no hot water and no cell service. Kat is convinced she will pretty much die of boredom on the island but it’s not until the luscious Leo floats in on his kayak does Kat decide that maybe it won’t be the worst summer after all.

This was a light, quick and fun read to say the least, Kat was an admirable, very girly and sometimes stubborn MC but I really enjoyed her progression throughout the story. I think the general theme with this series is that it’s less about the romance and more about character development. Each book focuses on a different Ladybird and the story follows them on a journey of self-discovery and the importance of friendship. Having spoken to readers about this series, I found that the previous books Flirty Dancing and Love Bomb include more humor; something Sunkissed was definitely missing.

Overall Sunkissed was entertaining and enjoyable, I think I just needed a little something more from the book. However I think a fun and girly contemporary book is just what you need to revitalise between those long series, so for those of you who enjoy quick and simple books with a feel good vibe then this is for you.



5 comments :

  1. This book has caught my interest a few times already on Goodreads but I haven't gotten into actually reading the blurb. I had no idea this was a series lol! I thought it was some YA stand-alone. Haha!

    Anyway this sounds a brain-candy type of book I have to try soon. :D Thanks for sharing, Cody!

    Fiona | A Girl Between the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your review! I've seen this buzzing about a few times, but it never really caught my eye! Maybe, I should give a small try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I have the first book in this series but haven't had the chance to read it yet. I've heard many good things about this author so may just have to give it a chance - nice review - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps people call me crazy cuzza the off-the-charts, intangible jewelry which I saw when I had my NDE... or perhaps they call me odd cuzz they wanna shut-me-out: they're too involved with their trinkets-N-baubles; too transfixed by the 'carte-blanche-insanity' we're all living under in their narrow, whorizontal indifference ...???

    Nevertheless, if I'm a bottomless, sinfull mortal with only a few MOE CURLEY years to live, I'm definitely crazzy-as-a-loon 4 Seventh-Heaven, the only realm I'm inflammably, passionately insane over: OFF-or-ON, I getta message young women in panties with oil (among other thangs); where, those who git accepted by loving God & loving our nay-bore, may do anything & have anything 4 the length & breadth of eternity. Who wouldn't want a tantamount of eternal joy??? To serve them, love them & B1 withem (<- like that word)??

    Precisely why we ROTE this: though I never went IN, I actually saw the Great Beyond after our messy, catalyst ottowek; follow along if ya wanna wiseabove this tragedy, this lemming-like-facade at croakin' time: 1-outta-1 bites-the-dust, baby. And dats da fak, Jak.

    If you dont & decide on Hell through your 'laissez-faire-indifference', your choice, lemming, your demise: the Just God demands FREE-WILL for all His lowly creatures 2 share in His everlasting S.T.O.R.e ... Subject To Official Rules ...enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your reviews are so honest and your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and opinions! I love receiving them and I will always comment back. I don't bite :)