Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Genres: Romance, Contemporary, Drama, YA
Publication Date: January 10, 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

I've been putting off this review for a long time because I simply do not know where to start. I've read the book and watched the movie. and I'm going to be completely frank in this review. But first of all, I have to warn huge fans of TFiOS that this is a negative review. If you don't want to hear me express my thoughts negatively towards your favourite book, I highly suggest you don't read this review, because I am an unapologetic reviewer.

Despite the "emotional moments" and those parts where I felt like I should have cried or something, I didn't feel anything. Instead, I felt as if the ending was kind of expected and the plot was laid out from the beginning. It's not as if John Green was going to spend 313 pages talking about this relationship and just have Hazel and Gus have babies and live happily ever after. Well, he might have, but judging from the other John Green books I have read, John's not going to be that nice.

And the only reason why many like this book is because Hazel and Gus have cancer. If it wasn't for fucking cancer, everyone would have thought this book was plain out pointless and dumb, like all other John Green books (I've read all of them and they're the most pointless flying shits ever written in my honest opinion). I'm not saying that cancer is dumb, I pray for those who have cancer to kick cancer's fucking ass and keep on fighting. It doesn't have anything else other than the sappy romance.

The characters. Cardboard cutouts. They had no character development throughout the book, and they were identical to John Green's other characters, the female being either a Margo/Hazel/Alaska and the male being a Quentin/Collin/Gus/Miles. The characters were unrealistic and they felt old and definitely not like almost adults. I didn't connect with either of them at all, and I really didn't like reading in Hazel's perspective. It was childish and I just don't really like reading in first person in general, unless it is very well written. And Gus was an exact replica of Hazel, but male. They have no defining characteristics, and they don't have their own voice. Great characters are one of the most important things for me when reading a book, and sadly TFiOS just didn't achieve that.

I also found it unrealistic, and how everything just happened so fast. Here's how it felt like to me:

Gus: *swoons over Hazel*
Hazel: *swoons over Gus*
Hazel: I want to go to Amsterdam
Gus: Okay, I wished to go to Amsterdam
--after the whole Peter van Houten thing happens--
Gus and Hazel: Yay we're not virgins anymore

And the list could go on and on.

The writing was strange, especially the metaphors. GUS WHY DO YOU WASTE MONEY FOR NOTHING?? I think I get the Okay? Okay. part, but it's not really original, and it's so incredibly on the surface. I was expecting some deep stuff from this book, but no, I could probably rewrite this book since the writing was so simple and smash a few simple words together.

I guess the book was kind of cute, but I just didn't like it. There are too many noticeable faults in this book (haha), and perhaps I might have liked it better if had not yet read Green's other books. It was as if I was reading Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, or An Abundance of Katherines again, since they all use the exact same template. It might have been a better book if it was on Peter van Houten though, just saying ;)



24 comments :

  1. I completely agree with you. Seriously, I have read TFiOS and I agree with everything you've said. TFiOS were my first John Green book and I probably would give it a star and a half. The characters were very unrealistic and really plain. I hate when things like this explode, because there will always be many people trying to change your opinion. But, I think it's good that you wrote this review. Lots of people would just not post it because of the hate they may get. I like your blog by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) So glad that I wasn't bashed for expressing my honest opinions! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. The plot was a bit expected, like I knew someone was definitely going to *whispers* pass away. But I just didn't expect it to be SPOILER ALERTT!!! the guy. I think these books sometimes get really high reviews because of the hype and merch that has appeared on the media and TV network. Really true review :p

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be the girl too! But hey, at least John Green cut it off so that we didn't have to listen to Hazel mourn so much :-\ Maybe it gets a lot of hype because people think the "Okay" thing is simple and complicated or whatsoever at the same time. Personally I think it's trying too hard...

      Delete
  3. Gah! I have read so many good reviews of this book, yet I was still skeptical. I never seem to enjoy the over hyped books. It seems you didn't enjoy it either! Great, detailed review girl. Your honesty and passion is refreshing (:
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Most of the time I really never understand the really, really hot YA books people are always gushing over. Like If I Stay. (review to come!)

      Delete
  4. Okay. I'll be completely honest here. I saw this review and in my head all I could think of was: "Oh no! Another gushing 5 star review?" And then I opened it up and had this sigh of relief. I feel the same way you do about this one, so it is refreshing to see someone who also didn't understand the hype. Thanks for sharing and, as always, BRILLIANT review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how many people like TFiOS because of the hype about it, which I don't quite get either :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Olivia!(:
    I 'nominated' you for an award!
    http://soundofavoice.wordpress.com/2014/12/06/sisterhood-of-the-world-bloggers-award/

    Freya(: from @ The sound of a voice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Olivia. I've been avoiding TFiOS like the plague. I read An Abundance of Katherines back when John Green wasn't the YA End-All, and I thought it was cute, but not very relatable. I like John Green has a human being--he seems like a really nice guy. I've been avoiding TFiOS because cancer in children as a topic, in general, hits a little close to home...and if it's not handled "just right", it might make me subjectively furious--which is weird, but hey. That's the same reason I've been avoiding Eleanor & Park. (I'm Korean-American, and I've heard the portrayal of Park's mother is problematic). One day, I will read TFiOS, and maybe I'll really like it, but great review to fall back on if I need to complain to someone, hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I can so relate! I thought an Abundance of Katherines was pretty fun(ish) and cute, but when I look back on it, I don't think there was anything I can remember that I liked. As for TFiOS, I mean it's cute, but it's not really special in any kind of way. I love your blog by the way, it's so cute!

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry you didn't like the book. I will say that I enjoyed it, but his book Paper Towns was a bit better. On one hand TFIOS was predictable, but on the other hand it wasn't because I didn't expect John Green to kill off the person he did. Oh well. I guess you can't win them all, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect it either! Well, I knew one of them would die but I thought it was the girl all along.

      Delete
  8. I hated this book too!! hehehe. The character development was really bad... The romance was insta-lovey. They spouted off random philosophical stuff every other second. I don't see the appeal. Awesome review, hon! Btws, I have a post on my site that has to do with Chaol that I think you'll LOVE.

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just entered your amazing giveaway Rach and read your review of TFiOS too :D Amazing!

      Delete
  9. OLIVIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! I relate 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%. While everyone else was practically bawling after the ending, I really didn't understand all the excitement over this book. I'm not gonna lie, it took me weeks to finish it. I've borrowed Paper Towns 5 times from the library, but I always return it each time without even touching the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper Towns. YOU MADE A RIGHT CHOICE NOT TO START IT! I really did not like it either ;)

      Delete
  10. I so TOTALLY agree!!! I read TFIOS sometime before the movie came out and I was just so underwhelmed by it! I went into it ready to learn the meaning of life or something and I came out with awkward, pointless metaphors. Both characters annoyed me and were entirely unrelatable. And I totally knew he was going to die. I figured it would be too obvious if it were Hazel so it had to be Augustus. I did still go see the movie though and I liked that a lot better than I did the book though I was the one laughing in the theaters at all the hysterical crying going on. I know, I'm probably a terrible person for that but oh well =P

    Jazzie @ The Book Dancer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I have the exact same feelings! I saw the movie and I actually thought I liked it more than the book as well :D I was expecting so much more out of TFiOS because of the hype.

      Delete
  11. Ooo Olivia, this is the first negative review I have read for this book!

    I can't really say anything because I haven't read the book or seen the movie, mostly because I don't feel like crying (and I can cry over ANYTHING, no matter how trivial).

    Thanks for sharing your honest opinion, I haven't read anything by John Green but he does come across as a Doom and Gloom writer.

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doom and Gloom exactly Amber! I honestly don't think I'm the right person fit for the book, but if you do read it, I hope you'll like it more than I do!

      Delete
  12. OMG finally someone who does not like this book! I thought I honestly was the only one, it's a cute story but pretty predictable and nothing special. Fab review!

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not that great if you've read the other John Green books. I guess that might have changed my opinion quite a bit :-\

      Delete

Share your thoughts and opinions! I love receiving them and I will always comment back. I don't bite :)