Midnight Thoughts: Fanfictions



Today I'm going to be introducing a new feature on the blog, called 'Midnight Thoughts'! I've been wanting to introduce this discussion meme for quite a while now but I just haven't had the chance to sit down and write, and even when I do post on the blog, they are mainly reviews.

Midnight Thoughts is a discussion meme where I choose a topic and give my opinions on the topic. Topics are just whatever that comes to mind and this post has no schedule or whatsoever. Sometimes they might turn into rants :) Want to submit a specific topic for me to talk about? Fill out a short form here!



Reading Fan Fictions

Fan fictions: Works of fiction written by a fan of a particular series, featuring the characters from the particular series.

I'm well aware of fan fictions, why people write them, and I know quite a few people who enjoy reading these pieces of fiction from fans of a series. Readers of fan fictions are usually those who can't get enough of their favourite series and need more. However, I've been thinking about fan fictions for a while, and the answer to the question: Do I enjoy fan fictions? 

If you asked me this question a couple of years ago, I would have definitely said yes. Not yes, but an OMGGGGGG WHAT DO YOU READ OMGGGG kind of yes. But, that was when I was 9.

There are some fan fictions that are alright and are able to almost replicate the author's writing style, but 99% of the time you will come across a fan fiction who's author that thinks that they can just smash a couple of words together and call themselves a "fan fiction author" on fanfiction.net.

I don't want to be offensive or anything to fan fiction authors, but there are fan fictions that are so bad that it will ruin your view of the series and fan fiction authors that don't use proper grammar. Ok, I admit. I'm a sucker when it comes to grammar. Seeing bad grammar and punctuation on reading material annoys me like frick. I've seen fanfictions go:

"it's morning silly!" "I made breakfast, I hope you're hungry!"

I MEAN SERIOUSLY WHAT THE SMERDE WAS THAT. I CAN WRITE BETTER SMERDE THAN THAT.

That was a TMI one. Imagine having your perfect image of your perfect series get ruined by this PERSON.  If you're going to write something like this, at least capitalize the I.

And I have spent SO MUCH TIME perfecting my ships. Then this "fan fiction author" ruins it all.


I haven't even got to the part where that author gets 10000000+ favs and follows. When I look at those, I just don't understand. I just cant...

Think of it like this: If you were the author of a series that you were so proud of writing, how would you feel if someone thought they could steal your idea and continue it and shape it into horror to go through someone's eyes?

I think I've said my point. I really, really don't enjoy reading fan fictions. Honestly, they waste my time. They don't feel great. Fan fictions are kind of like cheating. You have a plot and character the authors already give you. And it's really unfair to authors when their fan fictions receive more likes than their book.

However, this is really just my opinion. I don't hate you if you love fan fictions, or whatever. I'm just saying that maybe I'm just really unlucky and stumble across bad fan fictions all the time.  Either way, I am definitely NOT an fan of fan fiction.

What are your thoughts about fan fictions? Do you love them or hate them? 



19 comments :

  1. I have a cousin who reads One Direction fan fiction. whenever I look at her screen, I can't understand ANYTHING that she's reading. Literally ANYTHING. All I see is "Zayn HUMBLE JUMBLE WUMBO MOPPYDOO. Harry MAGGA PACKA WOBBLUIHD: HFJKDAHJFKHDAH FHSJKAFHAFUSBFA FSAJKFJKA"

    Maybe it's because she's Danish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Occasionally I find a fantastic few, but I seriously can't stand the layout of fanfiction.net

      Delete
    2. Yutong... why do you use fanfiction.net? WattPad is a lot better

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Note: Why does my comment above say "removed by author" when I deleted it myself? Hmm...

      Oh, and @Jasper, I don't really know how to navigate Wattpad, since there's all sorts of stuff like "Communities" and "News Feed" and "Notifications" and so I gave up trying to use it :\

      Delete
    5. Because you were the author of the comment :)

      Delete
  2. Honestly, I'm all for fanfiction. Whatever gets people writing is a-okay in my book, no matter how bad it is, lol. I just won't read it. I used to love fanfiction when I was younger, but I never read any fanfiction based off of books, with the rare exception of Harry Potter ones. (Because Tonks and Lupin 4 LYFE YO, lol.) I actually read A LOT of fanfictions based off of video games, mostly the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts franchise. I LOVEEEED them, lol. And some were actually really amazing.

    I do, however, take issue with fanfiction being published as original work. It's still a bit of a gray area for me, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And this pains me to say it because I know TMI was originally fanfiction, but I love TMI at the same time. (Her Infernal Devices series, though... oh my gosh, so good. So very good.)

    So, I don't mind fanfiction, but I'm not really one for reading it much anymore either. :)
    Great discussion! I love when people post stuff like this because I love hearing people's opinions in general. :)

    Julia @ The Book of Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh. INFERNAL DEVICES WAS AMAZING SH*T!!!! I can't believe it started off originally as a fanfiction but I JUST LOVE THAT SERIES!!

      I guess you do have a point about getting people to write... ;) but still, I wish they'd not put something on the internet that isn't particularly amazing.

      Thanks for sharing your opinions! :)

      Delete
  3. I used to read fanfiction. Now I don't.

    The thing is, even though I read fanfiction, I was picky. Like "I'll only read literary award winning pieces" of fiction picky. It was laborious, seeding out all those gems (I was picky about grammar, paragraphing, flow, themes, dialogue, tropes, and even at a point, names). Basically, I wanted to read a work of fiction but not published, but should be published. Looking back, that younger me was so demanding. But it was worth it. I read some amazing stuff.

    But then the internet became riddled with what you called those who "smash a couple of words together and call themselves a "fan fiction author" on fanfiction.net." (MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY. YOU'VE DUGGED THIS OUT OF MY BRAIN. HORRAAY!) I just couldn't stand the influx and left the fanfiction world, permanently. I don't think I'll everrrrr come back hahaha

    Fabulous post though!

    Jess @ MyReadingDress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG so am I. I'm EXTREMELY picky when it comes to reading material, because I can't afford to waste my time on something that I'll hate. (my dream is to love everything I read. It's impossible lol)

      See here's the thing. I used to read fanfiction when I was a lot younger because you know when you get introduced to something amazing, you NEED MORE? So then I discovered something called fanfiction.net and it was like MY LIFE IS HERE!!

      Then I read BEYOND amazing material (it all started off with City of Bones btw when I was 11) and it was so amazing at the time that no fan fiction or reading material could even COMPARE to the book. It was at that time where I decided that fan fiction is nothing. That fan fiction just drained time from reading TRULY amazing books away. And you know, books are like food. When you eat KFC you don't want to go back to eating a cookie right? (unless you're one that hates KFC which I have not come across a person who doesn't yet)

      I completely agree with your thoughts :)

      Delete
  4. I don't read much of fan fiction these days. Maybe in the past I have, but I feel there's a bit too much inappropriate material or things out of my comfort zone. I've officially retired from reading any fan fiction. Does skimming count?

    Anyhoo, I'm also EXTREMELY annoyed when there's bad grammar or spelling. It's very annoying. It's gotten to the point where I wrote a rant back in July about that. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Too much sex scenes in fanfiction... but I guess it's mainly the ships between two characters in a series that make people want to write fan fictions. (because you know these days, we're all obsessed with romances in YA books)

      And yes, it's extremely annoying to have bad grammar and spelling in reading material! I mean you've given me something to read, just to find flecks of food all over the places. (not saying that I don't like food, but just not on the reading material ok?)

      Delete
  5. I am very touchy when it comes to grammar and/or writing style so it's got to be an incredibly good story to get me reading it if it has things like you mentioned. Also, I've seen this type of "structure":

    "XY: Blah, blah.
    YX: Yep, yep."

    It's not a screenplay for Rasillion's sake!

    Anyway, apart from the bazillion catastrophic, bat-out, cheesy fan-fictionish pieces of writing, there are quite a few brilliant ones. Doctor Who ones on fanfiction.net tend to be jaw slackening for instance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh. That kind of structure just makes me think: my 8 year old brother can do better than that. Books are not all about dialogue!!

      I haven't ever come across a really good fanfiction yet but since I tend to be extremely picky its like a 1/100 chance for me :D

      Delete
  6. I agree with you! I really don't like fan fiction although if one of my friends highly recommends one, I'll at least read the first page.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm not really one to read something that my friends or everyone I know likes. I need it to have won an award, or have been good enough to be made into a movie, or the reviews on goodreads are straight 4.0 stars before I decide to read it.

      Like that time where everyone was reading TFiOS, I read it and I was just so disappointed. So now I'm a lot more careful when it comes to choosing books to read!

      Delete
  7. I can't say I have ever really read fanfiction and I have no interest in it either. Loved your post though. I think I will just stick to the original authors - there are so many fantastic books out there to read anyway :)

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really read them either anymore, and I've lost complete interest in fanfictions too! I totally agree with you! There are so many authors out there to read :)

      Delete

Share your thoughts and opinions! I love receiving them and I will always comment back. I don't bite :)