Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry

Title: The Giver
Author: Lois Lowry
Series: The Give Quartet (#1)
Genre(s): Dystopian, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, YA
Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.





The Giver was an amazing tale of a perfect dystopian community, however, perfect isn't always perfect. Jonas is a 12 year old boy who lives in this community where the people know nothing. Absolutely nothing. Nothing about death, fear, pain, and war. They knew perfection. And Jonas's community is so perfect, that no one could even see colours. You don't ever know your real parents, as they are adopted by a couple who were matched together. And that couple never has kids, its up to the Birthmothers to produce children. 

Everyone is assigned a job when they turn 12. But Jonas's job is different. His job is to go to an old man, called the Giver, who gave him memories of the past and death, fear, pain and war. 

The Giver isn't one of those books where you jump up and down after you finish reading it. It's not one of those books where you fangirl over the hot guy. It's not a book filled with shit about a girl who thinks she's special because she's super smart and has powers. 

The Giver is a tale of society, family, community, and love. 

It's just one of those books that have dug a hole into your heart and stuck itself there with glue. Honestly, I just can't express how much this book really made itself amazing. Although there's no romance or adventure, this is a book that has a lot of meaning. Lois Lowry has written this book in such a great and powerful way, it really left me there, just thinking. 

I loved The Giver. It was very well written, and made me feel sad most of the time, and it got me so touched. There was only one problem that I had with this book is that it was just too short. Although I understand why Lois Lowry cut the book off, I just wish it had been longer. The woman has a brilliant mind. She created a cliff hanger, but it wasn't exactly a cliff hanger. It was more like she ended it and got you to imagine what happened, because there wasn't anything regarding what happened after. They could have died, they could have not, which was brilliant of Lois Lowry to think of. 



11 comments :

  1. Glad you finally decided to pick up The Giver. I was forced to read it for school, but I ended up loving it. OMG Did you change your blog header? Or is it just me? It looks great, much much cleaner and simple than before. I love it!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I redesigned the header and the background plus the tabs! I'm so glad you like it! (the blog and the book, lol)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic review, Olivia! :D I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, because I'm a huge fan. I agree, I was pretty miffed by the cutoff ending when I first read The Giver, but after a reread and some reflection, it was a pretty smart move on Lowry's part.
    Have you seen the movie, or do you plan on watching it? Personally I don't think it was the best adaptation ever (you can read my review here)

    --Connie @ The YA Book Thief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! I haven't seen the movie though. I was planning to but I guess life just got in the way...I'm DYING to see the Maze Runner movie! Thanks for leaving me a link :)

      Delete
  3. I loved this book, the story is so beautiful and philosophical! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It's just one of those books that have dug a hole into your heart and stuck itself there with glue."

    My thoughts exactly Olivia! This is one of my favorite books of all time, and it holds a special place in my heart because it was one of the books that influenced me to start blogging / reviewing. Whenever someone calls YA shallow or simplistic, this is exactly the book I want to hand them. Not many books are able to make you think or view the world in a different way, but this is one that certainly does. The ending is just so thought-provoking and brilliant.

    Thanks for sharing, and fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you as well Zoe! The Giver is simple, yet it's very intricate! I'm so glad you can relate :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks! And I hope you get the chance to read it, it's an amazing book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is on my short list of books to read in 2015-I've been wanting to read it for years and I'm finally going to make that happen soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Speaking of TBR books, I have way too many on my list right now :D

      Delete

Share your thoughts and opinions! I love receiving them and I will always comment back. I don't bite :)